eThekwini: Interim flood damage report reveals R287m cost
Updated | By Nushera Soodyal
An interim progress report into last week's heavy rains and floods in Durban has revealed that so far, damage stands at R287 million.

Eleven people have also been confirmed dead.
The progress report was presented to the City's executive committee on Thursday.
eThekwini Municipality spokesperson Lindiwe Khuzwayo says the report also outlines interventions taken by various municipal departments, political leadership and various NGOs.
READ: Snow predicted for parts of KZN this weekend
Khuzwayo says assessments have been carried out across 1 019 households revealing a total of 3 031 affected individuals, including 1 761 adults and 1 270 children.
"The recent disruptive rains in eThekwini left a trail of destruction running into millions of rands. The report sheds light on the extent of infrastructure damage.
"It also highlights the unfortunate loss of lives and the widespread devastation inflicted upon homes, roads and other infrastructure."
ALSO READ: Lack of budget blamed for 'deteriorating' Waterloo infrastructure
Khuzwayo says the report recommends that budgets be reallocated to fund damages and create reserves for future disasters.
The preliminary report will be submitted to the National Disaster Management Centre through the Provincial Disaster Management Centre for further support.

Show's Stories
-
PRESS PLAY: Your favourite Breakfast moments this week - 25 to 29 August
From Labubu drama to Gala glam fails, here’s your East Coast Breakfast w...
East Coast Breakfast 2 days, 4 hours ago -
Another major bank partners with Home Affairs for Smart ID and passport services
Home Affairs partners with major banks to bring Smart ID and passport se...
Stacey & J Sbu 2 days, 12 hours ago