Two treated after PMB boarding school hostel fire

Two treated after PMB boarding school hostel fire

Emergency services have treated two Pietermaritzburg school girls for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out at a boarding school in Boughton. 


It appears to have started in a storeroom on the first floor of a hostel at Linpark High in the evening while the girls were eating downstairs.

NOW READ: Mother and two children killed in KwaDabeka shack fire

Midlands EMS spokesperson Derrick Banks says some of the girls had been trying to extinguish the blaze before emergency services reached the scene.

"Some girls were trying to extinguish the fire. Emergency services quickly got them all out. The fire department arrived as was able to extinguish the fire quickly before it spread any further."

NOW READ: Family of seven dies in Eastern Cape house fire

Banks says it is unclear what sparked the fire.

"Authorities were on scene and they will be investigating," he said.

The two girls who suffered smoke inhalation were taken to hospital for further care.
Newswatch Podcast graphic 1

Show's Stories