Toddler, man die from smoke inhalation in Nquthu

Toddler, man die from smoke inhalation in Nquthu

A toddler and 44-year-old man have died on Friday after being consumed by smoke from braziers in Nquthu, in northern KwaZulu-Natal.

braziers fire

Local government authorities say four other people are receiving treatment in hospital. They say the victims were neighbours. 

KZN Department for Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs spokesperson, Senzo Mzila says the families kept the braziers lit overnight to keep warm.

READ: Cold weather expected to worsen this week in KZN

"MEC Sipho Hlomuka has sent condolences to two families in Nquthu. Hlomuka has wished those who are getting medical attention a speedy recovery. 

"Hlomuka has also called upon residents across the province to exercise great caution when using traditional heaters or generators to stay warm during this cold winter." 

Missed a Newswatch bulletin

Show's Stories