‘Sanitiser experiment’ claims life of Durban boy (12)

‘Sanitiser experiment’ claims life of Durban boy (12)

A 12-year-old boy has died from severe burns in a hospital in Durban after he allegedly set a bowl of sanitiser on fire. 

Hospital bed corridor generic
iStock

The grade 7 pupil was rushed to hospital in Umbilo on Monday.

He died on Thursday.

KwaZulu-Natal Education Department spokesperson Muzi Mahlambi says the boy was a pupil at Effingham Heights Primary School.

"We are saddened as the Department of Education to have lost one of our learners due to an incident of experimenting with the sanitiser at home.

READ: Residents of Pinetown, New Germany and Westville without water

"The Department of Education we take this opportunity to pass our condolences to his biological family and the school family.

"We also want to say to parents they must always check on what their children are engaging with and we are urging all our learners not to experiment with dangerous things."

Mahlambi says they were informed child had been experimenting after watching a video on TikTok.

New Newswatch podcast banner yellow

Show's Stories