Police say revenge motive for Umlazi massacre

Police say revenge motive for Umlazi massacre

KwaZulu-Natal detectives say revenge was the motive behind a mass murder case in Umlazi, south of Durban. 

Crime Scene
Crime scene/Pixabay

Six people were gunned down in V/6 Section almost a year ago. 

 

Last week, members of the Provincial Murder and Robbery Unit nabbed a 28-year-old man in connection with the killings. 

 

KZN police spokesperson, Robert Netshiunda, says it's alleged that two suspects approached a group of nine people who were drinking at an informal settlement and asked to buy cigarettes. 


He says they were told to leave as no one was selling them.

 

"The two men left, only to return moments later and instruct the three women to lie down as they fired shots at the male victims. Six men were shot and declared dead at the scene.Investigations uncovered that the killings were revenge-motivated. 


"It is reported that the deceased victims, who were both Xhosa-speaking, had allegedly fought with Swati nationals who resided in the same area. Melusi Dlamini, a 28-year-old Swati national, was arrested at Krugersdorp in Gauteng province on Friday, 4 July 2025 and was charged with six counts of murder, unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful possession of ammunition."

 

He appeared in the Umlazi Magistrate's Court on Monday, where he abandoned his bid for bail. 

 

Investigators are searching for the second suspect.


Find us on social media

Follow the ECR Newswatch WhatsApp channel here

We are also on Facebook and X (formerly Twitter) 

MORE ON ECR


newswatch new banner 1

Show's Stories