Durban residents shaken up after flat fire

Durban residents shaken up after flat fire

Residents of a Durban block of flats where a fire broke out this morning are said to be in shock.

Florida fire

The blaze at the building on Florida Road started in one flat and spread to a second unit.

eThekwini Fire's Nkulumo Dube says the building's occupants were evacuated in time. " The fire was confined to a flat on the 5th floor. There was a bit of a spread to the flat above it. There were no injuries

Firefighters eventually put it out.

READ: Dagga lab uncovered in Durban North

Chairperson of the Body Corporate Neil Gibb said he was told about the fire at around 10am.

He said it's affected about 10 residents. 

"I did briefly chat to the unit owner but he was obviously very shaken up. He's account was he had just finished breakfast, smoke appeared from the main bedroom," he said. 

After the fire was put out, they went in and had a look and their clothes were destroyed.

"Luckily, they were able to retrieve their passports and other valuable documents. All the people that were in the block were standing on the road in shock," added Gibb. 

New Newswatch podcast banner red

Show's Stories