Dros rape: Suspect claims he was assaulted in holding cells
Listen Live

Dros rape: Suspect claims he was assaulted in holding cells

The bail application of the man accused of raping a seven-year old girl in a bathroom at a Dros restaurant in Pretoria last month has been postponed to November 1.

Dros rape
Gaopalelwe Phalaetsile

Twenty-year-old Nicholas Ninow, who appeared in a packed Pretoria Magistrates Court with a shaven head, will remain in custody. 

His defence lawyer, Riaan Du Plessis, told the magistrate that some of the injuries were inflicted by Silverton police officers. 

Du Plessis said Ninow suffered a cut on his earlobe, two cuts on his head and one on his neck from a broken bottle, allegedly inflicted by members of the public who were at Dros on the day of the alleged rape.  

"On the day of his first appearance the police at the Silverton police station forced him to do push ups and kicked him around. He appeared with two blue eyes," said Du Plessis. 

READ: #NotInMyName to visit Dros after horror rape

Du Plessis objected to the media's application to take photos of the accused, saying it will re-ignite racial tensions and subject him to a trial by the media.

But Magistrate Mali Mokoena allowed his photo to be taken, stating that it had already gone viral on social media. 

Insults could be heard from the public gallery as the suspect entered the court in a hoodie hiding his face.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) will be applying for an order to obtain Ninow’s cell phone, which they believe will be integral to the investigation. 

NOW READ: Warning to parents following Pretoria restaurant rape incident

Show's Stories