The Congress of
South African Students (COSAS) has called on the Basic Education Department to
delay the opening of public schools for the 2021 academic year.
The Congress of South African Students (COSAS) has called on the Basic Education Department to delay the opening of public schools for the 2021 academic year.
South African learners are scheduled to return to the classrooms on January 27, but Cosas says schools are not ready to welcome learners while the second wave of Covid-19 is sweeping through the country.
Cosas Gauteng organiser, Musa Shabangu, says they are proposing that the opening of public schools be pushed back by two weeks.
"Our stance currently is that the department needs to first ensure that all schools meet the regulations so that young schools are not subjected to hot spots of Covid-19 in the school environment.
"We are also awaiting a report by the DG of Basic Education which suggests that matric results be released earlier than the 26th of February since grade 12 candidates are concerned about being enrolled in institutions of higher learning. But what we want to emphasize is that we should not be quick to say schools must open when they are not ready," says Shabangu.
In his address to the nation on Monday evening, President Cyril Ramaphosa said the National Coronavirus Command Council would be deliberating on the matter and announce their decision once an agreement has been reached.
The Department of Basic Education could not yet be reached for clarity whether Minister Angie Motshekga will be addressing the media in this regard.
After seeing Martha Stewart's recent pictures, you might feel a bit thir...Stacey & J Sbu 9 hours ago
The Sheik family were awoken by smoke in their Musgrave flat last week, ...Stacey & J Sbu 9 hours ago