90 Gauteng pupils in hospital after eating ‘space muffins’

90 Gauteng pupils in hospital after eating ‘space muffins’

Nearly 100 primary schoolchildren have been hospitalised in Gauteng after consuming muffins believed to have been laced with dagga.

90 Soshanguve pupils in hospital after eating 'space cookies'

Pupils at Pulamadibogo Primary School in Soshanguve, north of Pretoria, began experiencing nausea, stomach cramps and vomiting.


Gauteng Education's Steve Mabona says the children are believed to have bought the so-called space cookies from a street vendor on their way to school on Wednesday morning.


"Educators witnessed strange behaviour from the learners in class and immediately called emergency services for necessary support. 


"All 90 affected learners were attended to by emergency services on school premises. However, they were all subsequently rushed to different medical facilities where their condition will be monitored.


"Police visited the school as this incident caused distress among parents who also came as they were concerned about the safety of their children. Subsequently, the street vendor was identified, and police will conduct their investigation accordingly."

newswatch new banner 2

Show's Stories