Puppy ‘looks like an inflated panda’ after eating a bee

Puppy ‘looks like an inflated panda’ after eating a bee

The allergic reaction caused the pup’s face to swell up.

dog stung by bee

It’s no secret that puppies get themselves into a whole lot of trouble. Their inquisitive nature often leads them to chew up shoes, dig up the garden, and, sometimes, this behaviour has some severe consequences. For one pup, his interest in a bee caused his entire face to swell up as both he and his owners discovered he is allergic to the creature.

TikTok user @Mathiiiel shared an adorable video of his dog’s reaction to the bee sting with the caption, “My dog thinking about that time he ate a bee and had to be rushed to the vet”.

The clip starts off with footage showing the little black and white puppy stretched out on his couch. The clip then cuts to the pooch at the vet with his face swollen like a balloon leaving him with a round head.

Luckily, the vet was able to take control of the reaction, leaving the pooch healthy but embarrassed. “He's shaking his tale so he's fine,” the man says in the clip.

Users on the clip compared the puppy to a panda bear because of its markings and how big and round its face got as a result of the reaction.

READ: Woman finds huge huntsman spider in her shower

"I don't know what I was expecting but that's not it,” one user commented. "You got yourself a baby panda," a second added while a third joked: "That ain't a dog, that's a bunny."

Dr. Christine Rutter, a clinical assistant professor and emergency and critical care specialist at the Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, says that it is important to look out for signs of an allergy in dogs. She adds that while bees leave their stingers in, other creatures like wasps and spiders do not. “The typical culprits that bite and sting dogs are generally bees, wasps and spiders. When a bee stings a dog, the result is an acute allergic reaction which is a common veterinary emergency.”

READ: ‘Childish’ company parts ways with employee by paying him his salary in pennies

She add that it’s important to treat these reactions as fast as possible because the severity of the sting is not known. “Dogs with severe reactions to insect bites and bee stings are having what is called an anaphylactic reaction. Anaphylaxis is nearly immediate and can lead to life-threatening alterations in the dog’s body. Dogs that have facial swelling, severe itching, hives, vomiting, diarrhea and/or collapse after a sting could be allergic to bee stings.”

If your dog is stung, it’s important to remember the ABCs – assist by removing the venom sac should it still be attached to the pooch, neutralize some of the acidic venom by applying a paste mixture of baking soda and water to the sting area, and apply a cool compress to the area to help reduce the swelling and pain. Then, urgently get your dog to the vet to check that everything is okay.

Image courtesy: TikTok

Show's Stories