Iga Swiatek, who won her fifth tournament in a row in Rome on Sunday, will
go into the French Open as top seed after consolidating her place as world
number one on Monday.
Iga Swiatek, who won her fifth tournament in a row in Rome on Sunday, will go into the French Open as top seed after consolidating her place as world number one on Monday.
The 20-year-old Pole, who won the title at Roland Garros in 2020, is over 2,000 points ahead of defending French Open champion Barbora Krejcikova in the new WTA rankings.
Tunisia's Madrid Open champion Ons Jabeur, who lost to Swiatek in the Italian Open final, climbed to a career-high sixth.
Coco Gauff dropped three places to 18th while former number one Simona Halep returned to the top 20 at 19.
WTA top 20 on May 16 (players representing Russia and Belarus are banned from competing under the name or flag of Russia or Belarus until further notice):
1. Iga Swiatek (POL) 7,061 pts
2. Barbora Krejcikova (CZE) 4,911
3. Paula Badosa (ESP) 4,770
4. Maria Sakkari (GRE) 4,726
5. Anett Kontaveit (EST) 4,446
6. Ons Jabeur (TUN) 4,380 (+1)
7. Aryna Sabalenka 3,966 (+1)
8. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 3,568 (-2)
9. Danielle Collins (USA) 3,315
10. Garbine Muguruza (ESP) 3,031
11. Jessica Pegula (USA) 2,955
12. Emma Raducanu (GBR) 2,910
13. Jelena Ostapenko (LAT) 2,536
14. Belinda Bencic (SUI) 2,525
15. Victoria Azarenka 2,440 (+1)
16. Elena Rybakina (KAZ) 2,420 (+1)
17. Leylah Fernandez (CAN) 2,250 (+1)
18. Coco Gauff (USA) 2,165 (-3)
19. Simona Halep (ROM) 2,126 (+2)
20. Daria Kasatkina (RUS) 2,115 (+3)
Seals may not have fur, but this story is all about the fluff!Stacey & J Sbu 2 hours ago
J Sbu acts in Mshayi and we are here for it!Stacey & J Sbu 2 hours ago