Paarl Rocks too strong for Durban Heat in MSL action

Paarl Rocks too strong for Durban Heat in MSL action

A nine-over a side shoot out saw the Paarl Rocks beat the Durban Heat by 32 runs on the DLS method at Kingsmead on Wednesday evening.

Albie Morkel
Anesh Debiky

The Rocks started their innings well with openers Henry Davids and Aiden Markram putting together 15 in the first two overs before the first rain delay reduced the match by two overs.

It was after another two overs that the players came from the field again with the Rocks on 34 without loss at the end of the fourth over.

Fortunately the second delay didn’t cost the players any overs, but just nine balls later the rain returned with the Rocks 47 without loss.

Following another, more lengthy rain delay in the fifth over, the powers that be reduced the match to just nine overs a side and the Rocks took advantage of the shortened game.

Marchant de Lange’s first over went for 18 but he picked up the crucial wicket of Henry Davids for a destructive 46 off 25 balls.

Kyle Abbott showed his experience in the eighth over when managed to get out of the over with a wicket and conceding eight runs. He picked up the crucial wicket of Markram for 29.

The final over was a good one for the visitors as they added 20 runs to their total to finish their innings on 98 for the loss of two wickets.

On DLS the total was revised and the Heat were chasing 113 from their nine overs.

In their chase the Heat were under pressure from the outset and Hashim Amla was the first victim, LBW to Bjorn Fortuin from the first delivery of the innings.

Temba Bavuma followed his opening partner in the first over when he was caught for four.

Heinrich Klaasen was the next man out for two and the Heat were battling at 25 for three from the first three overs.

Khaya Zondo was the next victim, LBW first ball to Tshepo Moreki and then David Miller was the next man out off the final ball of the same Moreki over, caught in the deep for 22 off 11 balls.

Captain Albie Morkel and Vernon Philander tried in vain to get the Heat as close as possible. They got to the seventh over before Morkel was caught behind for 11 off nine balls.

Philander and Keshav Maharaj batted until the end of the ninth over and they finished on 19 and 16 respectively and the innings was closed on 80 for six, losing by 32 runs on the DLS method.

“It has been a tough week and we can make all the excuses but we know what the problem is,” Morkel said.

“We haven’t been able to lay the platform to go and put on a big total and that has to change for us if we want to go and win games.

“We’ve got back-to-back games now and maybe that is what we need to get some rhythm together.”

The Durban Heat now travel to Johannesburg on Friday to take on the Jozi Stars at the Bidvest Wanderers in game five of the Mzansi Super League.

Show's Stories