Parliament fire flare-up contained on day 2, suspect appears in court

Parliament fire flare-up contained on day 2, suspect appears in court

The 49-year-old man linked to the setting of parliament alight is due to appear in the Cape Town Magistrate court today.

Drone footage of the Parliament fire, day 2

The suspect was arrested after he was allegedly caught with the suspected stolen property after gaining entry into the Parliament precinct. 

He was spotted by the Protection and Security Services after officers noted the fire at the building. 

He faces housebreaking, theft and arson charges and charges under the National Key Point Act. 

Meanwhile, more firefighters were roped in yesterday after a fire reignited at the National Assembly. 

According to Parliament's Moloto Mothapo, the fire caught alight again following a sudden flare-up from the roof of the building.  

"The resurgence of the fire follows information from firefighters that in the risky high-temperature levels at the gutted buildings.  

"The multi-agency, as well as the multipronged team of engineers which arrived at parliament, were scheduled to begin with its investigative work. 

READ: Flight diverted following bomb scare at Bram Fischer Airport

He says the presiding officers continue to be encouraged by the resilience and courage and bravery of the firefighters as they battle to bring the fire under complete control. 


Firefighters have spent over 48-hours in the Parliamentary precinct since Sunday morning when parts of the historic structure in Cape Town was engulfed by flames.


It’s understood wind fanned the fire smouldering beneath the fifth floor of the National Assembly, igniting fresh flames that burnt through the night and into Tuesday morning. 


By then, thick clouds of smoke could still be seen billowing from the white building.


Drone images of the chambers show pockets of flames with parts of the roof collapsed. 

The city of Cape Town’s fire and rescue spokesperson, Jermaine Carelse says while the situation is currently under control, 4 teams are still on standby for further flare-ups. 


“The weather report said there is a just light breeze south-westerly wind so that will help work in our favour,” says Carelse. 


“At the moment, nothing is smouldering and nothing is burning.”


The fire has left the country gobsmacked, with little clarity about how it started.


The 49-year-old man arrested at the scene on Sunday is set to make his first court appearance at the Cape Town Magistrates Court on Tuesday. 

newswatch new banner 1

Show's Stories