One year since Mike Brown shooting

One year since Mike Brown shooting

It has been a year since an unarmed American teen, Mike Brown was shot dead in Ferguson.


Eighteen-year-old Brown was shot dead on August 9, 2014 - sparking violent unrest and prompting debates about race in America, particularly police treatment of African Americans.

Hundreds of protesters rallied in Ferguson, Missouri on Saturday to mark a year since police killed unarmed black teen Michael Brown, whose death sparked unrest and a national debate about race relations in America.

Police have made a number of arrests after demonstrators blocked a road and threw rocks at officers a day after the anniversary of his death. 

A state of emergency was declared in Ferguson after another teenager was shot by police in scuffles on Sunday night.

Brown's family led a march along one of the avenues hit by fierce rioting last November when a court decided not to indict the white officer who shot the teenager.

Marchers shouted slogans such as "Hands up, don't shoot" and "We do this for who? We do this for Mike Brown" during a daytime rally with a children's marching band bringing up the rear of the parade.

But protesters grew more confrontational later, when around 200 people gathered outside the police headquarters chanting: "Hey hey, ho ho, these killer cops have got to go!"

At the earlier march, which ended at Brown's Normandy High School, his father told reporters he was working hard at "keeping my son's life still around" and doing "whatever I can do to empower us as a people".

Asked what has changed in America's tortured race relations over the past year, he said: "Nothing, for me. Some families got justice through Michael Brown's legacy, and that helped them. But I'm still trying to get through."

A 4.5 minutes of silence was observed - reflecting the 4.5 hours Brown's body lay face down in the street after the shooting before it was taken away.

A string of US police killings of black suspects since the shooting has triggered an outpouring of anger at perceived police racism and prompted calls for change.

In the latest such incident Friday, a Texas police officer fatally shot 19-year-old unarmed college football player Christian Taylor after he drove his vehicle through the front of a car dealership.

Texas police department said in a statement there was an altercation between officers and Taylor when an officer discharged his weapon. 

In another recent incident that has sparked countrywide debate, a black American woman Sandra Bland was arrested and detained for three days following a traffic violation. She is alleged to have committed suicide while in detention. 

Show's Stories