Jika Joe informal settlement fire victims uncertain of future

Jika Joe informal settlement fire victims uncertain of future

The victims of the Pietermaritzburg shack fire say they have no other option but to pick up the pieces and rebuild, once government officials allocate land for them to reconstruct.

Jika Joe Informal Settlement fire aftermath
Sandile Zikhali

Almost 100 homes at the Jika Joe informal settlement were razed to the ground on Saturday.


The blaze was allegedly started by a man who set alight the shack of a woman he had been visiting.


READ: PMB shack fire leaves 164 homeless


The residents say they have survived over 10 fires in the last two decades.


Thembi Gumede, a grandmother to five, says they barely made it out. 


"We were asleep when we heard voices shouting 'fire.' When we woke up, we saw flames everywhere. One of the children was almost burnt while he was sleeping as he had not heard the voices." 


"We escaped, but all our belongings are gone. We only left with the clothes we are wearing," she said.


Khanyisani Mbhele who has been living at the settlement for 19 years, says they had planned to start rebuilding as soon as possible, but they have been ordered not to.


"We usually gather the little money we have to buy material to build, but this time we have been told we can’t stay here anymore. That’s a problem because we do not have anywhere to go," he said. 


Affected residents have been provided with temporary shelter.

Missed a Newswatch bulletin

Show's Stories