Raksha Bandhan is a Hindu festival observed on the 15th
of August. Here is what you need to know about the day.
Raksha Bandhan is a Hindu festival observed on the 15th of August. Here is what you need to know about the day.
There is no bond quite like the bond between siblings. Although siblings can fight, that doesn’t deny the fact that most siblings would do just about anything for their brother or sister.
In celebration of this special bond between siblings, the Hindu culture has a day on their calendar dedicated to celebrating siblings. The day is called Raksha Bandhan.
Here are some fun facts about the day:
- Raksha means 'protection' and Bandhan means 'bond'.
- The other term for Raksha Bandhan is Rakhi.
- It is observed on Shraavana, the last day of the Hindu lunar calendar month.
- The purpose of the day is to celebrate the relationship or bond between siblings (brother and sister).
- On the day, sisters tie a special thread called talisman, or amulet called the rakhi, around the wrists of their brothers as a symbol of bond protection.
- The sister prays to God for the safety of her brother, while the brother takes a vow to protect the sister and keep them away from all negativity.
- The brother gives the sister money, sweets, and gifts on the day.
The video below shows how to make beautiful Rakhi at home:
If most of us are spending as much as 80% of our lives at work, the peop...Weekend Breakfast with Jane Linley-Thomas 2 days, 1 hour ago
At the dawn of the Rugby World Cup, the Kearsney College Choir joined Ea...East Coast Drive with Bongani and Mags 2 days, 11 hours ago